Thursday 15 August 2013

Thursday report I

I find that regular weekly posts (such as llymlrs' weekly sunday portrait etc) are particularly interesting, so I thought I'd try my hand at it!













T a r t a n.
If you couldn't tell by the pattern above, this weeks Thursday report (the first in fact!) centres around tartan. It's less highlands, and more...high fashion (sorry...i had to!)
Like with so many styled that have been revived from a bygone style era (like crop tops, platform shoes and bright hair), tartan appears to be being given a new lease of life. The fall '13 collections from the likes of Versace, Chanel and Vivienne Tam were all heavily leaning towards rebellious and 'punk'.
Unsurprisingly, with this don't-care-punk-wear attitude came tartan, which, to me at least, is quintessentially, punk. Since, it's cropped up in Topshop, River Island and Primark, slowly but surely taking over the racks of our beloved high street stores.
Personally, I love the trend- it reminds me of a tartan skirt I used to have as an 8 year old.

Incorporating it into your wardrobe: 
Easier than you think! Think statement pieces- like trousers, skirt or blazer.  If you're wearing this iconic print, then chances are you're not looking for subtlety. Keep the focus on your tartan piece, and keep everything else simple and chic. I'd advise steering away from equally as loud prints, but the world is your oyster. I'll be pairing my tartan blazer with a plain white tee, dark jeans or a skater skirt, with pixie-punk ankle boots and a bold lip. Or, for a more casual look, cigarette pants, white collared shirt, a camel coloured coat and a tartan scarf with some brogues (Autumn isn't far off, after all!)

What do you think of this trend? Love it, or loathe it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read all your comments, they make my day!